StarOffice Code Released in Largest Open Source Project
Phipps has his own thoughts on the future of OpenOffice.org. He sees this project as a way to leverage the open source model onto the desktop for not just Linux, but other platforms as well, including Windows and PDAs. The latter may not be so far-fetched, as the first topic of discussion on the OpenOffice.org Whiteboard is "Personal Digital Assistants and OpenOffice."(Brian Proffitt)
'So they say it's your Birthday...life is a gas...'
Nine Years and a few days ago...
Next...( ? )
The GNOME Foundation.....
..... After the foundation was announced, a number of initiatives from the founding members was announced:
- Sun Microsystems adopts GNOME technologies for their user environment in the Solaris OS.
- Hewlett-Packard adopts GNOME for their user environment in the HP-UX operating system.
- Sun will port their recently OpenSourced StarOffice suite to the Gtk+ toolkit and will integrate with the GNOME Bonobo component architecture.
- IBM contributed the SashXB rapid development environment to GNOME.
- GNOME would adopt and integrate Mozilla as part of its desktop strategy.
- The GNOME project would adopt OpenOffice technologies.